Why Snowboarding’s Not So Gnarly

2 Jan

If you haven’t heard, asphyxiation and foot binding aren’t just for waterboarding anymore.  Water torture has a frozen counterpart and it’s called snowboarding.

Snowboarding is a test of oxygen deprivation.  Specifically, it tests whether a person can survive the Colorado Rockies where he finds himself gasping for air at 10,000 feet above sea level, a place generally reserved for mule deer, mountain goats, and the skeletal remains of the pioneering Donner party.

The reason snowboarding must be conducted on a steep mountaintop is so the boarder can gain momentum while sliding down a snow-covered slope on a single board without relying on brakes.  The board is about the size of a small surfboard, yet when you’re careening down the mountain at 40 miles per hour, shrinks down to a Popsicle stick.

Snowboarding is often compared to skiing because in both sports, you fall.   An important difference is that skiers possess an emergency release mechanism on their bindings which allows them to fall unencumbered by skis.  This helps them avoid broken bones and suffer only knee injuries and concussions before they have to hike back up the fifty feet to unbury and retrieve their skis.

Snowboarders, on the other hand, are firmly attached at the feet in non-release snowboard bindings.  The exception is when the snowboarder decides to adjust his strap-in bindings while suspended in midair on the chairlift and accidentally catapults the board into the skull of an unlucky gaper.  In such cases the snowboarder invariably experiences tremendous remorse and yells down comforting words like,  “Dude.  Can I have my board back?”

Considering that both feet are bound to a relatively narrow snowboard, it is logical that falling is the leading cause of injury in snowboarding as the boarder is launched at a 90-degree angle at rocket speed and ragdolls downhill before finally coming to a halt with the help of a snowboarder, skier, or mature pine tree.

Compared to skiing, snowboarding injuries are usually to the upper extremities and the ankle.  This is because when snowboarders lose their balance they can’t “step out” a leg to recover, as they are shackled to the board.  The instinctive protective reaction during a fall is to outstretch a hand towards the ground (or towards God if the fall is off a cliff) to break the landing.

“Shredding,” “grinding” the rail, and “inverted” aerials are all fitting terms for snowboarding because they describe not only moves and stunts on the board, but also what happens to some snow boarder’s bones and ligaments after a wipe-out.

Some of you parents may have already learned this the hard way if your child has ever been rushed to the emergency room with a broken right wrist and a minor concussion after taking an ugly crash while soaring down the half-pipe, as my son has.  If you’ve been fortunate not to have yet experienced this, think twice when your child innocently asks, “Can I try snowboarding this winter?”

If, in a weak moment, you lose control of your senses and say yes, be sure to invest in a good snowboard helmet and wrist guards.  Otherwise, encourage the pursuit of a less harmful sport, like mountain climbing, ultimate fighting or skydiving.

Like this post?  Subscribe to my blog and get loads more–free of charge!

About these ads

103 Responses to “Why Snowboarding’s Not So Gnarly”

1. Paprika Furstenburg January 2, 2012 at 4:58 pm #

Not sure if it is appropriate to click the like button since your son was injured, so I will clarify and say that I like the telling of the tale, but not the outcome. I can’t imagine why anyone snowboards. Why would you lock both feet into a slippery board than hurl yourself down the side of a mountain? I’m sure there’s a thrill in it, but for me the ride up on the ski lift is scary enough I hope your son feels better soon.

2. morristownmemos by Ronnie Hammer January 2, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

I have a new idea for a winter sport. Nobody gets hurt, and it’s very competitive.

Snowman building. The sportsperson takes the snowman up to the mountain top and releases it. The winner of this next Olympic sport is the one whose snowman gathers the most snow on the way down. The closer it gets to resembling a contestant on “The Biggest Loser” is the winner.

I hope your son has a complete recovery soon.

Ronnie

• Paprika Furstenburg January 2, 2012 at 5:47 pm #

Sign me up for the team! I also think there should be a team at the bottom who gets to “decorate” the snowman for artistic points.

• morristownmemos by Ronnie Hammer January 2, 2012 at 8:23 pm #

Yes, Paprika, there are details to work out.

Like, is it better to build the snowman below the lift and drag it up, or better to build it on top before sliding it down?

Let’s let Lisa decide.

Ronnie

3. Life in the Boomer Lane January 2, 2012 at 10:21 pm #

Oh my, I am so sorry. Best wishes to your son for a complete recovery.

4. Jen and Tonic January 3, 2012 at 7:06 am #

Oh man, I’ve injured myself doing so many things. Snowboarding is one of them. I like not being able to breathe, falling down, being sore the next day, and all that other stuff people look at you sideways for. I once smacked myself with the side of my snowboard after falling down and skidding 50-ish feet downhill. I had the hugest welt on my forehead, but was lucky enough to avoid a concussion.

If I was a parent I don’t think I’d let my kid do it. I’d be a nervous wreck! I give you a lot of credit.

5. sportsattitudes January 3, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

I have long pined to alpine ski but the risk-reward regarding my physical condition doesn’t make that a sensible venture. As for snowboarding, I never really “caught” that bug to try out. At this point, a Flexible Flyer metal saucer sled would probably fuel my entire appetite for winter sports quite nicely. Unless of course…you count trying to put more air in your tires outside during a blizzard a winter sport. Now THAT I really enjoy.

6. Main Street Musings Blog January 4, 2012 at 12:15 am #

Wow, I feel so validated by everyone! Glad to hear others share my concern. I do like the snowman building and decorating for sport idea. No hospital visit required if it loses a limb. And wouldn’t it be great if it could also service our cars during a blizzard?

7. Mikalee Byerman January 4, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

I’m, having a claustrophobia-induced panic attack just based on the mere DESCRIPTION of this activity — can’t imagine the reality!

And here I live at the base of the Sierra Nevada mountains…and I’ve never been snowboarding. Now I know why.
    ;)

8. The Simple Life of a Country Man's Wife January 4, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

the pioneering donner party… haha. Great post.

9. susielindau January 4, 2012 at 6:14 pm #

When snowboarding It freaks me out not to be able to move my legs independently after skiing for so many years.
    The snow conditions are terrible this year in the Rockies so I am thinking of trying it again for something to do! I disagree about needing a lot of elevation to go fast. All you need to do is lean back and Wooooooosh! –You are flying totally out of control!!

• Main Street Musings Blog January 4, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

The “out of control part” is exactly why I don’t snowboard :) Thanks for visiting!

• susielindau January 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

My son broke his pelvis and back preseason snowboarding on Loveland Pass! Luckily they were pars fractures and after a one year recovery was back on his board. Then he re-dislocated his shoulder and had to have surgery last summer. I think he is a lot more careful when he is out now. Thank the Lord!!

10. Lakia Gordon January 4, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

My friends were trying to get me to go snowboarding but that was waaaaay out of the question LOL

11. Adam January 4, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

….Seriously? If your son was actually “soaring down a halfpipe”, chances are he’s a pretty good boarder and knows exactly what the ramifications are of both snowboarding and falling. If that’s what he wants to do and has gotten this far, you should support him if that’s what he wants to do. Most boarders don’t touch the halfpipe, and for good reason. If you would rather coddle your kids and keep them from one of the most exhilarating sports known to the human race based on the fear of “falling and asphyxiation”, maybe we should just stop driving cars and walking as well. I hear those are pretty dangerous too.

Also, the lack of oxygen at high altitude vastly improves one’s health and fitness at lower altitudes, due to the increased efficiency of the cardiovascular system. While you’re entitled to your opinion, going around and telling people it’s inherently a bad idea isn’t exactly fair.

• Main Street Musings Blog January 4, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

Hey, I’m a mother. Worrying is my job. But you’re right that we can’t let fear hold us back (though I do think it’s wise to use the right equipment when snowboarding to ensure safety).

That said, you may want to stop driving cars if you know what’s good for you–my teenager daughter just got her permit . . .

• Sylver Blaque January 7, 2012 at 8:51 pm #

Lol! I’m on the lookout for her! 8O

• Cupcakes and Kickstarts January 4, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

Thanks Adam – a voice of reason.

Kids fall down, get hurt, get up and continue having fun. If you’re worried about your kids taking up a “dangerous” sport then get them all the saftey gear and lessons from professional, reputable instructors.

It’s very scary watching your kids do something like snowboarding, or dirt biking (both of which my entire family do), but it worth the personal growth and huge smiles they have when they acheive!

• Main Street Musings Blog January 4, 2012 at 9:46 pm #

Thanks for the comment. I’m still working on how to keep my kids safe during their favorite sport–fighting each other.

• Chris Kay January 5, 2012 at 3:48 am #

**PLEASE READ**

As a professional CASI snowboard instructor (http://www.casi-acms.com/) who has worked at many resorts within Ontario, Canada I hate to say it but I am offended by this biased response to snowboarding. The reason being is most of what you have said has no validity to it and thankfully Adam has debunked some of this for the rest of the readers.

Still though… I can’t blame you for your perspective given your experience. I deal with parents like yourselves every weekend during the winter months when I teach snowboarding as my part time job. But that is why there are teachers available. To educate and help not only students but parents/care-givers understand what the sport is all about and I can assure you it is not limited to this drastic opinion.

It just pains me to see such a negative perspective on a sport I love! Please go out with your son and see why he is so passionate about this sport, it truly is a beautiful thing! I guarantee with a little practice and teaching you will soon find the magic in what it means to “ride”!

The slopes are the only place that I can clear my mind and get a killer work out at the same time. And despite fracturing my forearm, when tackling terrain beyond my skill level (your son is a victim to this as well it seems), suffering bruises, sore joints, frostbite, and scrapes. You can catch me on the slopes every weekend during winter and all the while with a smile :)

Please go and check it out and feel free to email me if you have any questions, id love to get you set up with some safety tactics and safe approaches to getting on the slopes!

chrisalexkay@gmail.com

• gurahamu January 5, 2012 at 8:24 am #

Sorry indeed people got hurt.

My 5yr old is now learning to ski, and I worry, but she enjoys it and she’s also monitored and that balances my fears somewhat. Also, I used to come off by tricycle when I was really small onto tarmac and grind some skin off – it happens.

That said, I’ve boarded 12 years (and a little skiing) and have had a helmet for most of that, and would not consider myself good enough for a halfpipe, though tree runs and a certain amount of back country has been fun :)

Safety kit I would think is always essential – I see very few people here in Japan without helmets and other padding nowadays. Putting out fingers in a fall is always risky (though sadly almost automatic) leading to wrist and finger damage.

I would say if you’re boarding near idiot boarders who don’t put the leash on their board boot before even binding up, then go somewhere else – I saw a board shoot off from some silly person who undid the tether, and it slid like a rocket before being caught by tarp several hundred metres down the mountain – any human in the way would’ve been seriously injured. Ski patrols will take people’s passess off them for that.

Anyway, I hope nerves are calmed, and the child heals, and perhaps you can all go out a bit later in the season, perhaps just on some pistes and away from the parks.

12. Scott January 4, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

I’m sorry to hear about your son.

I’ve had my fair share of bruises from snowboarding and skiing, ever since I started the sport when I was about nine years old. I think that the sport is relatively safe as long as you take safety measures such as wearing a helmet, going with friends, and avoiding halfpipes. It’s like anything else, the more you practice, the better you get, and the less dangerous it becomes. I realize we share different views, but I enjoyed reading your post. I hope your son gets better soon. :)

• Main Street Musings Blog January 4, 2012 at 7:23 pm #

I agree with you that when “wearing a helmet, going with friends, and avoiding halfpipes, snowboarding can be safe.” Same goes for drinking beer.

• Scott January 4, 2012 at 10:31 pm #

I don’t know if you’re trying to make a joke, but comparing alcohol to snowboarding is an extreme. It’s a sport, not a cocktail. Just because you have one or two bad experiences doesn’t mean that you should ridicule the sport. I would encourage anyone to try snowboarding, especially kids. *shrugs*

• Sylver Blaque January 7, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

Wait…we have to wear helmets now to guzzle beer???

13. Hibari January 4, 2012 at 6:54 pm #

Skiing can be equally gnarly and dangerous if you’ve ever seen the pros hit the halfpipe. My brother actually got hurt more skiing because he’s not used to having a bunch of equipment and kept getting tangled up.

It really depends on the individual, I think. I’ve received enough bruises from snowboarding to realize that it’s probably not my sport (actually I’m not a fan of snow in general), but at the same time, it was much more rewarding to have mastered the basics on a board.

14. valentinedee January 4, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

I’ll just watch from the sidelines and cheer you guys and gals on. Nice blog.

Val

15. mttharwood January 4, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

Did the author try snowboarding by chance? Cause with the lack of oxygen the seem to get the author themselves sound like an airhead.

• Sylver Blaque January 7, 2012 at 8:56 pm #

She’s not an airhead. She was just infusing humor into an awesome sport. Lighten up & have a chuckle : – >

16. Patti Kuche January 4, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

Great post! Hope your son has recovered and I am sure that when he does, he will be back down the half-pipe.

Just the other day (in the beautiful Colorado Rockies!) I was watching the snowboarders, skiers do their tricks in the terrain park when I saw a skier come flying way over the top only for one of the skis to detach and fly off in another direction. How he landed I have no idea but I have every hope for his safety. As for the recent DewTour, I had trouble watching parts of that, as spectacular as it is – the highlight being Kevin Pearce on his snowboard again. Having said all that, how much fun is it in the snow!

17. Darlene Steelman January 4, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

I went skiing for the first time ever on 1/1/12. I saw seven year olds skiing and snowboarding circles around adults. Blew my mind.

Snowboarding scares the crap out of me because of the whole “locked feet/ankles” thing.

Great post.

18. Shawn Saleme January 4, 2012 at 8:17 pm #

The Art of Flight by Travis Rice

19. MarieNicole January 4, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

I am a 37 year old mom of four boys and I LOVE SNOWBOARDING. The boys learned last year and though I do sometimes worry that I got them into a rather dangerous sport I do also know that the amazing feeling is worth the risk. Its funny – as I write this I think of a friend of mine who was a professional snowboarder and was killed in an avalanche during a photo shoot. Though I was not very close with the family – I know that the mom even in her pain knew he died doing what he loved. Life is short – teach them how to do it and like with everything else they will injure or not. My boys are very capable and play hard – 10, 8, 6 and 6. None of them have ever been in the hospital for an injury yet I know so many people who have accident prone children in the hospital for tripping over their own feet. It really is a great sport and if you live where it is cold it is an excellent way to stay active in the cold winter months. Not as safe as video games.
    In all certainly sorry about your son’s injury. Here is to hoping I am not back on this blog end of season with my own injury story. However if they do get injured I know they will heal – they are healthy and what more can you ask for.

20. midnitechef January 4, 2012 at 8:36 pm #

It is gnarly if you spend more time on your behind or frantically boarding backwards down the hills. True story.

21. justyn January 4, 2012 at 9:11 pm #

I’m very sorry this happened to your son but please lets not blame snowboarding. Why do people blame the sport when they get hurt? Please research the sport and equipment and make an informed decision before participating….

I just wanted to say that I tried skiing numerous times because my dad was paranoid about snowboards just like you are….I hated skiing and can’t do it. My legs and hips get so tired from having to keep the skis close enough together that my knees start to give out and I fall and twist my legs. I can’t keep the skis parallel, so then my legs and hips start hurting so badly I can hardly move the next day. In college I finally refused to go skiing again and I switched to the snowboard and will NEVER, ever ski again.

Sure you can’t pop your foot out of the binding when you are falling but really you wouldn’t want to since you would break your leg or legs if both don’t pop out right, so I feel it is actually safer for your legs, ankles and knees snowboarding in general. You could also possibly get hit with the board if it only came off of one foot and swung around and do real damage to your head, it’s a heavy object! The only time it would be worse is if you fell onto something like a rail in the middle of your leg and your leg broke that way. But if you fell that way on skiis you would probably break it as well, so it’s no different. As for the wrist breaking – it’s because when you fall you put your arms out. A simple fix is a wrist guard or make sure you don’t throw your hands out if you fall, you need to learn to fall on your belly and bent arms, butt or back. And lets face it, people fall all the time and break their wrists, so again it’s being a little paranoid.

I have never worn wrist guards or a helmet while snowboarding but I am also not doing tricks or going down a half pipe, and if I got hurt it would be my own fault. I go just for fun and casual excersize and stick to the easy slopes. The only time I hurt myself was when I was teaching my brother to board (on the bunny hill) and hit a lip of ice while I was going backwards (very slowly as I was watching him) and caught the back edge which you can also do on skis. I fell backwards and smacked my head on the ice before I could bend my body to land on my butt. But it was my own fault for not paying attention to where I was going, not the sport or the board, or even the ice. If I was going to be doing tricks, going down a black diamond or half pipe I would of course wear the safety gear. All the professionals wear safety gear, because it is a sport that involves the risk of injury, as most sports do.

My suggestion is if you are going to be doing anything other than casual snowboarding or it is your first time on a snowboard, wear a helmet, wear wrist guards and knee pads if there is ice. It’s the same equipment you would wear skateboarding and is readily available.

Skiing, skateboarding, hockey, soccer, football, snowboarding, bicycle riding or any sport can be dangerous, it’s the nature of sports.

• Main Street Musings Blog January 4, 2012 at 10:56 pm #

Thanks for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and informative reply. (BTW-My son snowboards with wristguards now.) Have fun on the slopes!

• justyn January 5, 2012 at 6:40 pm #

No problem! I think having an (over) protective parent in this exact situation helps me to understand why you feel the way you do. And likewise when my dad blamed the sport I was able to use the same examples to show him it isn’t the sport itself but the fact it’s a sport that’s the danger. Good to hear he now uses wrist guards! And I bet he will have a blast learning more stuff, and don’t forget the helmet if he will be learning tricks or doing anything more dangerous or icy conditions! They have some really cool looking ones now, so no worrying on the ‘cool’ factor for him!

22. Rae January 4, 2012 at 10:05 pm #

You’ve successfully convinced me to never go snowboarding! Wait, that is what you were going for, right?

23. LovinEveryMoment January 4, 2012 at 10:37 pm #

Blaming snowboarding for an injury is a bit of a cop-out. Perhaps better set up prior to a trick, better (or any) safety gear, more experience before attempting tricks that are quite obviously beyond one’s skill-level, more focus during the attempt, etc… would have prevented the injury? There are dozens of factors that lead to bad falls, most of which are avoidable.

This is what gets me: “Snowboarding is often compared to skiing because in both sports, you fall. An important difference is that skiers possess an emergency release mechanism on their bindings which allows them to fall unencumbered by skis. This helps them avoid broken bones and suffer only knee injuries and concussions before they have to hike back up the fifty feet to unbury and retrieve their skis.”

…Suffer ONLY knee injuries and concussions?? These are not minor injuries!! My mom tore her ACL, MCL and damaged her meniscus last winter on her SKIS. She grew up skiing the Alps, so she is no amateur. After an extensive reconstructive surgery and over 10 months of physical therapy 3 or more times each week, she is still not recovered. She wants to ski again because she knows that you cannot blame the sport for the injury, but she will have to wait another season or two until she is recovered. She has said a dozen times that she WISHED she had broken a bone because she would be recovered by now. On the flip side, my fiance broke his inferior pubic ramus (a BONE in your pelvis) the same month and was riding (on his SNOWBOARD) again three weeks later.

All sports carry risks. If you have a problem with that, buy your kids some video games and movies and let them waste away. I grew up shredding and I am better for it.

• Main Street Musings Blog January 4, 2012 at 11:24 pm #

Your point about doing all you can to prevent injury (ie. wearing proper gear) is well-taken. (And I agree that knee injuries and concussions are not minor injuries–I was being facetious). I also agree that we shouldn’t avoid an activity just because it’s risky but should take all the necessary precautions we can. That said, accidents happen–as you shared the story about your mom. My mom also ended up in the hospital with broken bones and hasn’t recovered, and that was just from falling on the sidewalk. Hopefully both our moms with recover soon. Thanks for sharing.

24. morristownmemos by Ronnie Hammer January 4, 2012 at 11:37 pm #

Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed!

Ronnie

25. Richard T. Albuquerque January 5, 2012 at 12:33 am #

What a collection of senseless words…

26. Blair January 5, 2012 at 2:07 am #

For those of you who can’t make it to the mountains, the next best thing is riding the bus and not holding on. Same feelings…..just joking. Whistler is where you want to come to fly down a beautiful mountain.

27. thelaughingmom January 5, 2012 at 3:55 am #

Hey – Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed! Hope your son is doing better. Personally, I shy away from all snow sports. The only time I went snow skiing I wore out a pair of leather gloves hanging onto the rope that pulls people back up the bunny hill. Great story!

28. CARS SPORTS WOMEN SEX January 5, 2012 at 6:08 am #

Not to knock the story or the feeling of being a parent, but this should start off by saying that the point of view of this blog is from a mother. Second, comparing skiing to snowboarding is like saying driving to work is like racing in the brickyard 500. Third, starting off by saying that snowboarding is like water torture is just blatantly incorrect and a gross miss characterization of the sport.

My first suggestion would be acknowledge that walking out of your house is a risk in itself. Then I would make sure my son would have the proper lessons to minimize the probability of accidents, you don’t ski/snowboard diamonds or double diamonds the first time off the lift. Also I would suggest that you spend a little bit more time understanding the different type of boards, board maintenance, keeping your edges sharp, and the different techniques of snowboarding before making generalizations about snowboarders and general safety equipment.

When skiers fall, they don’t always have the abilities to get out of their skis. This is also true for snowboarders. But there is a similarity as well when falling. If you have quick release bindings on your snowboard you can ditch your board. Just like skis. Also if you are sliding on your backside or belly you can use the edges of the board to dig in to slow down.

Bottom line, I hope your kid is ok, I understand your point of view as a parent, but please don’t characterize the sport and recreational activity in a negative light. Anybody can make the case for negativity for anything in life.

• Main Street Musings Blog January 5, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

Thanks for using diplomacy in your reply and for taking the time to provide useful snowboarding advice.

29. Bijon Krishna Bairagi January 5, 2012 at 7:01 am #

a nice blog. nice content

30. vicki January 5, 2012 at 7:15 am #

After laughing my way through your blog, I was surprised to see such serious replies! Yes, sorry for your son’s injuries, but sorry too that facebook continues to overlook the lost opportunities in not providing a greater range of buttons – like the “I-can-so-relate-to-this” button. Not because of any injuries my son has incurred (ps: tell your kids to cheat when they play “grounders”), but stuck on just half my God-given seat for what I know from experience now will be two weeks, I continue to defend my decision to take up this whatever-you-want-to-call-it – gnarly, great, groovy or slightly insane – activity. Why pin two bound-to-cross-themselves skies to my feet when I can bring joy both to me AND my chuckling onlookers with a single popsicle stick, a naive and apparently oxygen-deprived outlook and an enticing, freshly-snowed-upon (ie: cushioned) half-pipe?

Am I wrong? I read you as going for a bit of comic relief, not full-on critique and criticism.

• Main Street Musings Blog January 5, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Vicki, I too was surprised. Your are correct that this piece was written for comic relief (I am a humor writer after all . . .). That said, I do respect peoples opinions (as long as they are respectful) and I’m glad to provide a forum where people can express themselves. Glad you enjoyed this piece, thanks for commenting!

31. Peter Parkorr January 5, 2012 at 9:23 am #

Snowboarding is incredible! This is a fact. There’s NOTHING like the sensation of floating effortlessly along a snowy ridge line with the fresh alpine air in your nose, tens of miles of beautiful accessible territory at your feet, and several feet of fresh powder cushioning to land in when you sail off a kicker into the blue sky. I’ve never smiled so hard.

But you’re right, never board without a helmet or wristguards, especially where there are trees. Still nursing sore ribs from last years unexpected tree hugging episode! 10,000ft however, ain’t nothing but a thang. You need to be nearer 10,000metres before you worry about oxygen levels…

32. shah January 5, 2012 at 9:23 am #

gooooooddddd one>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

33. Katherine January 5, 2012 at 9:39 am #

As a snowboarder myself I feel it is my duty to point something out; my friend is a skier and she presented a similar argument to you when I told her I had taken up snowboarding. We argued and argued over which was more dangerous until we finally looked it up and found these stats: yes snowboarders accumulate more minor injuries, but MORE SKIERS DIE ON THE SLOPES THAN SNOWBOARDERS. & having said that only aprox 30 people died from skiing in 2011, if you should be deterring your children from anything it should be driving which is statistically far more dangerous. Feel free to look it up.

• Katherine January 5, 2012 at 9:47 am #

Ps, sorry to hear about your son’s injury. Wrist guards are a good idea. + wrists heel, thank god he’s not skiing from the stats I found! Haha, congrats on being freshly pressed btw and happy new year x

• Main Street Musings Blog January 5, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

Interesting stats. It reminds me of the old adage about more people dying from donkeys than airplanes. The answer may be debatable, but the point is it’s important to keep things in perspective. Thanks for sharing.

34. Stulang Laut January 5, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

cool guys !!

35. Huffygirl January 5, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

Very funny. I think I will have to forward this to my snowboarding friend. Congratulations on being Freshly Pressed. Please enjoy it.

36. NixieTale January 5, 2012 at 3:12 pm #

THAT. Is hilarious. You had me laughing at “Mule Deer”

(sidenote: I hope your son is ok).

37. sittingpugs January 5, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

Snowboarding is a test of oxygen deprivation. Specifically, it tests whether a person can survive the Colorado Rockies where he finds himself gasping for air at 10,000 feet above sea level, a place generally reserved for mule deer, mountain goats, and the skeletal remains of the pioneering Donner party.

Best second paragraph ever.

38. jacichilds January 5, 2012 at 3:45 pm #

I will still snowboard regardless..

• Main Street Musings Blog January 5, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

And I will still write regardless. We should all follow our passions. Enjoy yours and be safe.

39. Kim January 5, 2012 at 3:50 pm #

Very cool post…thanks for sharing

40. smiffy80four January 5, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean that you should try and stop other people from doing it… especially your kids.

41. Bethany Pegues January 5, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

Hmmm…I can see that clumsy me better not attempt snowboarding. :)

42. Sherry Stanfa-Stanley January 6, 2012 at 3:08 am #

Still laughing.

I was not laughing, however, the last time I went skiing and I fell off the chair lift. The ski patrol had to halt the whole damn thing while they attended to me. Thank God I was still alive, though I was pretty sure I was dying from embarrassment.

Snowboarding? Maybe when hell freezes over.

• Main Street Musings Blog January 6, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

Were you laughing so hard you fell off your chair? :) Thank God you are still alive is right! Thanks for your comment.

43. kevin January 6, 2012 at 6:50 am #

“I’m very sorry this happened to your son but please lets not blame snowboarding. Why do people blame the sport when they get hurt?”

you have a bad mood? Just give sympathy.

44. Raza January 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm #

well said. nice post, i enjoy it.
    dubai cars classifieds

45. Paprika Furstenburg January 8, 2012 at 12:09 am #

Lisa, congrats on being Freshly Pressed! A well deserved accomplishment for a fantastic body of work, not just this singular post.

46. Nick January 8, 2012 at 3:55 am #

Maybe your children just have poor balance and/or coordination?!

I’ll admit, I broke my wrist the first time out snowboarding. Yet, like a trooper and not a coward, I stuck with it and got much better over time and began to love the sport. I won’t knock skiing because that is fun, too, but snowboarding is just a better fit for me.

47. earthriderjudyberman January 8, 2012 at 10:03 pm #

This is SO wrong and, yet, disturbingly funny. Great post.

48. Theduxguts January 9, 2012 at 5:16 am #

You, my lovely main street gal, are entitled to your opinion. A far greater problem than the occasional broken bone, from people living life to the full, is the current first world obesity epidemic. In summary, Americans, Australians and Canadians are the fattest people on the Earth. Why? Because they eat too much, and don’t move enough. On average an overweight person will live 5 to 10 years less than a person of healthy weight. What would you rather for your child? An occasional sports injury, or 5 years wiped off his life?

I started skiing 25 years ago and switched to snowboarding 17 years ago after a bad knee injury while skiing. Yes, I’ve injured myself snowboarding…I’ve also sliced my finger with a knife when cooking…should I give up eating? Neither skiing nor boarding is safer than the other, but both can be done in relative safety…like walking to the corner shop.

We’ve become a society of couch potatoes, partially due to the fear of taking any risks. Children are protected in a way that no other human generation has been. Not great for human evolution, me thinks. The US was not built buy people who couldnt take risks…and I’m not an American!

49. Aron January 16, 2012 at 10:20 pm #

You have got to be kidding me. It sucks your son got hurt snowboarding, but low and behold, that was the risk he was willing to take. You have clearly never ridden, and failed to understand the sport before you went and dissed it. No brakes? Really? the first thing you learn when you ride is how to stop, which doesn’t involve ragdolling down the hill. Shrinks to the size of a Popsical stick… what does that even mean?? No one in their right mind would unstrap his bindings on the lift and not expect it to fall, so I’m just gonna disregard that one. So your son got hurt in the half pipe. Maybe it wasn’t snowboarding’s fault, maybe your son didn’t have the skill level to be in the half pipe in the first place. I can dig that you wanna keep your son safe and all, but when I was a kid, we lived by the motto “its only funny ’till someone gets hurt… then its hilarious!” He enjoys it obviously, let him ride, and stop feeding parents blatantly biased, unresearched garbage. We ride because we love it. We know there’s risk involved, but its okay because there is no better feeling in the world than riding. I’ve been on the snow, skiing or riding, since I was 5. I’m a park junkie, I’m that fool who “‘grinds the rail,'” and I love it. I’m honestly offended at this. I haven’t ridden in over a year because there’s no snow around my duty station. I would give anything to be back on the mountain, back to the good old days of riding non stop 5 days a week. Don’t take that away from kids.

50. Jez February 9, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

Love snowboarding but thought this was an hilarious take on it Lisa. Thanks *thumbs up* :)

51. Sinister Dreams February 13, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

Oh geewiz! Snowboarding is awesome! Get off your skis and try it out for yourself, you’ll never go back to skis again I guarantee it! Also, I hope you don’t make your son quite just because he got hurt, that would be a real shame. Injuries happen, we learn from them, and become better because of them. :) Nice post though, I did giggle a bit.

• Main Street Musings Blog February 13, 2012 at 11:21 pm #

My son would agree with you, and he’s back out on the slopes, snowboarding (with wrist guards). As for me, writing is enough of a slipper slope . . . . Thanks for commenting :)

• Sinister Dreams February 13, 2012 at 11:34 pm #

haha! Well that’s good! It’s good he now has the wrist guards, i too have those, a helmet and a back protector. If he starts doing more boarding in the trees I highly recommend the back protector!

52. Sandra Parsons February 15, 2012 at 12:07 am #

Huh, it is amazing how people get their knickers in a twist about something so obviously satirical. I personally loved the piece, especially creations like ‘to ragdoll downhill’. And I totally missed the bit where you told people (inluding your son) not to snowboard anymore. I guess I was just laughing so hard…
    Congrats on getting freshly pressed, this post certainly deserved it!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Word To My Mother | cupcakesandkickstarts - January 4, 2012

[…] to write a post about the awesome ride we (the fiancé, my Mum and my Dad) went to on 27th Dec, but this post got me thinking. It’s a very entertaining read about snowboarding from a Mother’s […]

2. Freshly Pressed « Main Street Musings - January 9, 2012

[…] last week, I did.  I received an e-mail notification from an editor at WordPress that my post “Why Snowboarding’s Not So Gnarly,” a parody about the dangers of snowboarding, had been promoted to Freshly Pressed.  “You are […]