Facebook Addiction?

13 Feb

I’ve finally discovered, through Facebook, a great way to find old friends, schedule events, play games, and send virtual gifts, only to be told it may be hazardous to my health.

Therapists warn some of us are crossing the line from social networking to social dysfunction.  They say Facebook’s seductive powers cause a compulsion to dissociate from the real world and live in an artificially happy one where people don’t have morning breath or argue over who’s going to change the baby’s diaper.

But what’s the matter with wanting to spend some time in a happy place where nothing ever goes wrong?  With Facebook, who needs Prozac?

Frequent Facebook visits can cause something called intermittent reinforcement, where notifications, messages and invitations reward us with some kind of high.  Like high roller gambling, only instead of perks like private jets and limousines, we get things like…

Incoming…Marnie just sent me a magic egg on Facebook!  Isn’t she sweet to think of me?  Gosh, that just makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over.

Getting back to other alleged dangers, there’s “Facebook flirting,” and getting reacquainted with old boyfriends and girlfriends.  But really, what’s the harm?

Incoming… Wow!  Kevin Jones just friended me and said he had a huge crush on me in kindergarten and that he used to try to look under my skirt while I climbed the jungle gym.  I’m so touched.   I had no idea he thought of me that way.

OMG!  (blush) Kevin just said he wished he could do that now!  LOL!

But what’s the worst that can happen while getting reacquainted with old flames?   After all, computers are only so interactive.

Damn!  Does anyone know how to get lipstick stains off the computer screen?

Supposedly there are Facebook addiction indicators, such as ignoring family and work obligations because the Facebook world is a more enjoyable place to spend time than the real world.  Do they honestly think I’m going to forget to feed my family because I’m busy updating my Facebook status?

Incoming…(groan) A message from my youngest daughter, Zuckerbergette.  I’ll send her a quick reply:  “No, I can’t make you a snack right now, it’s time to breed my virtual pigs on Farmville.”

As I was saying…I might call Facebook a fetish, but not an addiction.   I eat Cocoa Puffs every morning but does that mean I’m addicted to them?   Granted, you hear stories of compulsive behavior like the groom who changed his relationship status on Facebook to “married” during his wedding ceremony, but those are exceptions… right?

“Experts” say if you suspect you have a Facebook addiction, control usage by changing your password to something unfamiliar, writing it down, and placing it somewhere inconvenient to make checking Facebook a chore (snort).  I may not remember my social security number, but my Facebook password—that’s mind scripture.

And heaven forbid if I ever did need Social Media Detox, I’d simply join one of the 150 or so Facebook Anonymous groups.  Conveniently, they’re located right on Facebook.

Like this post?  Subscribe to my blog and get loads more free of charge!

About these ads

26 Responses to “Facebook Addiction?”

1. Rob Rubin February 13, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

I used to be addicted to Facebook. But there comes a point where the “high” of someone rambling off 87 inspirational quotes that they themselves wont listen to just goes away. Now I use Facebook strictly for whoring my blog posts.

• Main Street Musings Blog February 13, 2012 at 10:48 pm #

“Never leave that till tomorrow which you can do today.” Benjamin Franklin Sorry, couldn’t resist. ;)

2. Jen and Tonic February 13, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

I would say I flirt with addiction to Facebook. I LOVE being on the site, but I haven’t reached the point where it gets in the way of my real life….and I don’t intend for it to.

I know someone who quit her job because her boss wouldn’t let her rotate her Farmville crops during the workday. Um….

3. sportsattitudes February 13, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

I never have caught the Facebook bug. That may be because I started out on Twitter when it first started…sensed some of the “addictive properties” social media in general can foster as you so cleverly note above…and just shut it down completely for a couple of years shortly after starting. I have since returned to Twitter but only in structured blocks of time…and most of the time I, like Rob mentioned, use it mostly as another outlet for blog posts…or to communicate with fellow bloggers. I absolutely can see where social media can become all-consuming for unsuspecting folks, whisking them away to an artificial dimension. Facebook, Twitter, etc. should all be marked “proceed with caution.”

4. morristownmemos by Ronnie Hammer February 13, 2012 at 10:47 pm #

I’m addicted enough to reading my blog comments, answering them, then reading other favorite blogs.

I’ve kept in touch with those with whom I wanted to be in touch. The others…not so important as my time.

Ronnie

• Main Street Musings Blog February 13, 2012 at 10:53 pm #

I respect your discipline, Ronnie. :)

• Paprika Furstenburg February 13, 2012 at 11:04 pm #

I totally agree with Ronnie. If I wanted to keep in touch with someone, I did. I joined Facebook, but I fail to see the appeal in reading about my what my friends ate, what they did at the gym or where they are at any given moment in time.

On the other hand, after the day I’ve had, escaping into the virtual world is more appealing than the real one.

5. Main Street Musings Blog February 13, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

Hope your evening is better than your day. BTW, I ate a turkey sandwich for lunch, walked a mile and am sitting in my office right now. ;)

6. earthriderjudyberman February 14, 2012 at 1:18 am #

Facebook can be a happy place … once you avoid the landmines of disputes over politics, religion, and sports. But, hey, I can quit Facebook any time I want. Only right now I have to check on how Farmville is doing and whether Uncle Zergelblotz is having a latte on his back porch.

7. funnyortragic February 14, 2012 at 8:01 am #

Coco Puffs? Yes, you are addicted if you eat them every day. You should switch to Lucky Charms instead. Much healthier.

8. Audubon Ron February 14, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

As far as Facebook, I’m not a user. I do have an account under a fictitious user name, but never actually use it. I’d get rid of it altogether but have no idea how to delete it. I think Facebook is kind of creepy anyway. I don’t want to know what everyone is doing every minute. And I don’t want any of my old friends to see how old I am and CERTAINLY don’t want to see how old they are. I have a non-reputation to maintain. In fact, I don’t even know I’m here.

9. Main Street Musings Blog February 14, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

That’s why I don’t post my age. I don’t want ANYONE to know that I’m 45.

10. Vladimir February 15, 2012 at 10:07 am #

Hi Lisa !
    WOW… FB should hire you as their PR. This is the wittiest and most relaxing pro-FB text ever. :) In a way, you certainly have a point. Still, I’m “die hard” Twitter fan.

11. Dawn@lightenUp! February 15, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

Hee hee hee! I like how Ron calls FB creepy after saying he has a fictitious-named account! ;) I heart you Ron.
    Funny post, Lisa!

12. morristownmemos by Ronnie Hammer February 15, 2012 at 3:13 pm #

Lisa, I enjoy your posts so much that I am pleased to have the opportunity to award you with the Kreativ Blogger Award. Just go to my blog, read the instructions, and copy the award onto your post. Congratulations!

Ronnie

13. thelaughingmom February 16, 2012 at 3:34 am #

My iPhone is my enabler. Makes it way too easy to scroll through Facebook and Twitter updates quickly. News outlets are luring me now. And, God forbid I miss what Cher is tweeting to her Lovlies. Once the firestorm was over of everyone finding each other, really a small percentage of “friends” actually post or comment on anything. Yet it’s nice having a readily available connection to your own personal, “This Is Your Life” show. In summary, yes, I’m a user.

14. Sherry Stanfa-Stanley February 20, 2012 at 2:00 am #

You need help. I will send you a therapist in return for one golden nugget.

15. Main Street Musings Blog February 20, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

Throw in a chicken nugget for the kid and you’ve got yourself a deal.

16. This website was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I
    have found something which helped me. Thanks!