Black Coffee in Bed

5 Nov

Please forgive me

But I’ve been in no mood to muse

Ever since my power lines

Blew a Frankenfuse.

I shouldn’t complain while others suffer

Flooded homes and no communication.

My worst problem has been cold showers

And Pop-Tarts-related constipation.

Yesterday we installed a generator

Thanks to our electrician, Dave.

I had been sleeping under so many blankets

I feared my chest would cave.

Last night we schmoozed with some new friends

Around their kitchen table.

They shared their food, they shared their wine,

They shared WiFi and cable.

I feel grateful to my friends and family

For their spirit of generosity and giving.

October may have skipped Halloween

But it brought us early Thanksgiving.

My hope is that by next week

My Musings will be back.

For now I’ll learn to like sardines

And take my coffee black.

May we all keep in our hearts and prayers those who have suffered and continue to suffer from the devastation of Hurricane Sandy.

About these ads

61 Responses to “Black Coffee in Bed”

1. Gunta November 5, 2012 at 5:56 pm #

Wishing you well and electricity soonest!

2. Paprika Furstenburg November 5, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

I feel your pain, Lisa, as i sit here in my dark cold house reading this from my phone. Glad you got a generator and have such caring friends. We stayed with very kind, generous friends this past weekend to get a respite from powerlessness. Thanksgiving truly has come early this year.

• Main Street Musings Blog November 7, 2012 at 11:16 am #

I feel for you too, Paprika. There are utility trucks on my street today so my fingers are crossed. If I get power I will let you know and you can hang at my house!

• Paprika Furstenburg November 7, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

Thanks, Lisa :) Our power came back on around 8pm last night. You can come hang with me if your power isn’t back on. Fingers crossed that this next storm doesn’t do any more damage.

• Main Street Musings Blog November 8, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

Congrats! I’m happy for you. Crew is on my street, so I feel hopeful.

• Paprika Furstenburg November 8, 2012 at 1:34 pm #

Fingers crossed for you :)

3. Carrie Rubin November 5, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

So sorry to hear you’re without power. Hope it gets restored for you soon.

4. artsifrtsy November 5, 2012 at 6:37 pm #

Good to hear from you and hope the power is back soon!

5. Brian Westbye November 5, 2012 at 6:38 pm #

Well-played. Golf-clap!

Hope the juice and your sanity are back on ASAP…

• Main Street Musings Blog November 7, 2012 at 11:28 am #

Thanks, Brian. I hope the juice and sanity are back soon too, but unfortunately they’re not yet.

6. The Laughing Mom November 5, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

Only you could turn a disaster into comforting laughter! I’ve been worried about you, not knowing exactly where you live in New Jersey. Hang in there!!!!

• Main Street Musings Blog November 7, 2012 at 11:32 am #

Thanks, Terri. I appreciate your encouragement. We are hanging in there and trying to keep perspective.

7. G M Barlean November 5, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

So good to hear you are ok, albeit cold and eating poptarts and sardines! I’m also glad you have people who have reached out. Be well.

• Main Street Musings Blog November 7, 2012 at 11:34 am #

Thanks for your supportive words. We still don’t have power, but we’ve graduated to PB&J.

8. cindyricksgers November 5, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

Terrible circumstances…grand funny poem. Thank you (and best wishes for getting everything back to normal soon.)!

9. Don't Quote Lily November 5, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

I hope power is restored soon. They claimed to be more prepared with this storm, but that doesn’t seem to be true!

• Main Street Musings Blog November 7, 2012 at 11:45 am #

It’s true. There was so much warning and planning, and yet power doesn’t seem to have been restored very efficiently in many places. And now on top of it all, it’s snowing!

10. Shalagh Hogan November 5, 2012 at 9:18 pm #

And you would have a poem in the middle of your discomfort. Yeah for the electrician who hooked you up to the generator. And glad you feel thankful in the midst of your discomfort. Because we remember Katrina and Haiti and think “this too shall pass”. And Squeeze lyrics.
    Love,
    Shalagh

11. Huffygirl November 5, 2012 at 9:41 pm #

Glad to see you still have your sense of humor – what else can you do? We are unscathed here in Michigan, but mother nature usually gets back at us at some point with an ice or snow storm. But I think what you have trumps ice and snow any day. Salt water floods – how awful.

12. nursemommylaughs November 5, 2012 at 10:12 pm #

Glad to see you writing…by candlelight and quill and ink, I presume? :) Keep those sardines away from the pop tarts… talk about indigestion. Oy!

• Main Street Musings Blog November 7, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

Of course, but my candle is down to the stub. The vintage look is in vogue, isn’t it?

13. appletonavenue November 5, 2012 at 10:14 pm #

Hoping for relief for you soon.

14. jotsfromasmallapt November 5, 2012 at 11:27 pm #

Wishing there was more to do for you
    As Sassy Sandy came through and blew.
    Keep your faith and friends near and close
    As we send our love and care from this west coast.

15. Shelley Burbank November 6, 2012 at 7:15 am #

Sounds as if you have some wonderful friends. Hope everything is back to normal soon for everyone.

16. gabrielablandy November 6, 2012 at 8:40 am #

‘And Pop-Tarts-related constipation’!! Good to be able to make such jokes in a crisis.

17. Krista Fuller November 6, 2012 at 10:26 am #

As always, you’re good for comic relief. After reading your post today, I’m sitting here feeling guilty for the “75 and Sunny” forecast today here in North Texas. (But only until I recall the months of Hot as Hell and Drought we’ve just come through.) I’ve been a Weather Channel junkie ever since Sandy raised her ugly head. I am standing with my NJ pals in spirit. Keep your chin up!

• Main Street Musings Blog November 7, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

Thanks, Krista. I’d say “wish you were here” but that wouldn’t be nice at the moment. :)

18. LuAnn November 6, 2012 at 11:39 am #

Sending all those in Sandy’s path our warm wishes and prayers.

19. My Odd Family November 6, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

Let there be light soon! Sending good thoughts to you and all the rest that are in the midsts of Sandy’s wake. Very clever poem by the way!

20. earthriderjudyberman November 6, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

Lisa, I’m glad you and yours weathered the storm. My heart does go out to those who are suffering following Sandy. For those who have to rebuild – their lives and communities, I wish them God speed. Take care. Hugs. <3

21. sportsattitudes November 7, 2012 at 10:47 am #

Thoughts and prayers to you, yours and everyone affected by this terrible storm. Once more we are reminded of how powerless we all are when it comes to power. Among many things that have to be addressed to improve the quality of life for all is working towards insulating our power grid as best we can against the ever-increasing weather challenges we all will face in the years to come.

22. Storkhunter November 7, 2012 at 11:10 am #

Hope you get your power back soon. How you manage to make cold and dark funny I don’t know.

23. BARB BEST November 7, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

Love this! “Blew a Frankenfuse!” – so funny. May the force be with you soon.

24. WomanBitesDog November 7, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

Impressed you can still blog!

25. Debbie November 8, 2012 at 4:05 pm #

And here I’m complaining about cold and clouds — shame on me! Wishing you a return to normalcy real soon! What a clever ode, by the way!

26. Grown and Flown November 9, 2012 at 10:44 pm #

Last week really was surreal, but as we have power back now I cannot complain. It is hard to believe how much damage was done. The snow really looked like the icing on the cake.

• Main Street Musings Blog November 12, 2012 at 8:36 am #

True. And the tree that fell on my neighbor’s car for the second time was the straw that broke the camel’s back!

27. Audubon Ron November 11, 2012 at 8:37 am #

Yep, knew you were out of power and hurricane sore. It is intense, isn’t it?

28. dilipnaidu November 19, 2012 at 10:28 am #

Trust the power is restored by now! Wish you warm and cozy days :)

29. Carl D'Agostino November 20, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

Coffee black. Me too. But seems waitresses and waiters do not know what coffee black means.
    “What would you like to drink, sir?”
    “Coffee black.”
    “Do you want cream?”
    “No, coffee black.”
    “Do you want sugar?”
    “No, coffee black.”

Don’t they get it? Coffee black.