Thanksgiving Tradition With A Green Jello Twist

21 Nov

“Guess what?”  I tell my husband.  “Your mom called. We’re hosting Thanksgiving this year.”

“But she always hosts Thanksgiving!” he replies.  “Did she say why?”

“Nope.”

“I bet she’s still . . .”

“Upset?”

“Yep.  Ever since that question you asked at the dinner table two years ago.  ‘So kids, what dish do you think Grandma T. makes best of all?’” he says, imitating me perfectly.

“First of all, that sounds nothing like me,” I lie.  And second, how did I know the kids would say, ‘green jello’?’”

“You know she’ll never forgive you.”

“I know,” I say.  “She always reminds me,  ‘I make the best sausage and peppers in Monmouth County, and all your kids remember me for is my green jello salad!’”

“And then last year she didn’t serve the jello at all . . .”

“The kids were bummed . . .”

“Maybe we should talk to her about it,” he suggests.

“No,” I shake my head.  “Let’s just host and pretend nothing happened.”

“That’s brave of you,” he says.   “I hope you know how to make . . .”

“Green jello?” I ask.

“No, a turkey.”

Is jello salad a staple at your Thanksgiving gatherings?  What’s your Thanksgiving twist?

Like this post?  Subscribe to my blog and get loads more!

24 Responses to “Thanksgiving Tradition With A Green Jello Twist”

1. Paprika Furstenburg November 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm #

Jello of any color does not make an appearance at our Thanksgiving dinner. Our family’s argument revolves around cranberry sauce. I like it with the berries and my husband’s family prefers it from the can. Specifically, they like it served in the log shape that is formed when it slides out of the can – ridges and all. One year I made the mistake of trying to “fancy up” the log o’ cranberries and it did not go over well. Happy Thanksgiving!

2. Main Street Musings Blog November 21, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

No, not the ridges! Happy Thankisgiving to you too!

3. morristownmemos by Ronnie Hammer November 21, 2011 at 2:19 pm #

That’s what happens when you give children free range.
    Is your turkey free range? Watch out!

Ronnie

4. Main Street Musings Blog November 21, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

Ha! Free range. . .love it!

5. mkultra76 November 21, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

I like this! I always have to have black cherry jello with cherries floating around in it. I’m not sure why, because there is always a lot of it leftover at the end of the meal. But if it’s not there, I hear about it. And I figure it’s easier to spend two minutes making it and tossing it in the refrigerator than to field questions about the absence of black cherry jello. 😉

• Main Street Musings Blog November 21, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

That’s a new one on me! I’ve only ever had black cherry ice cream, one of my favorites. Enjoy your Thanksgiving, and your black cherry jello!

6. lostinsuburbiablog November 21, 2011 at 3:25 pm #

We had an issue one thanksgiving at my in-laws revolving around my sweet potato pie. My side of the family makes it with tons of brown sugar and marshmallows on top. I have always carried on the tradition and brought one to my in-laws when we go there for thanksgiving. One year, my mother-in-law suggested I bring a “plain” sweet potato pie instead. I guess she wasn’t a fan of the original. Anyway, I made it the traditional way anyway, cuz that’s how I roll, put it in the oven on a low temp to brown the marshmallows, and then “someone” turned it over to broil and the marshmallows inflated and then burst.
    It was truly the biggest mess you have ever seen involving marshmallows since the Stay Puft segment in Ghostbusters.
    At least Green Jello mold is easy to scrub off if someone gets angry and throws it.
    Just sayin’…

Happy Thanksgiving!!

7. Main Street Musings Blog November 21, 2011 at 3:37 pm #

God help us if there’s any green jello throwing. Or wrestling. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

8. Audubon Ron November 21, 2011 at 6:51 pm #

Me: Honey, I think wild rice is better with Cornish hen. Stuffing better for turkey.
    Little Woman: No it isn’t, I always have stuffing on Thanksgiving.
    Me: Honey, you’ll be the only person eating cranberry jelly. Cranberry jelly makes me sad.
    LW: I ALWAYS have stuffing and cranberry jelly on Thanksgiving (point of fact, no she doesn’t). I’m an adult! I can have WHAT EVER I WANT, I’m an ADULT!…(she yells while stamping her feet, threatening to cry, and throwing a fit)

Guess what I’m fixing?

9. Main Street Musings Blog November 21, 2011 at 8:07 pm #

Green jello?

10. Dawn@LightenUp! November 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm #

Mmmm…you had me at green jello.
    I have to say, it reminds me of The Grinch.
    Funny stuf…I love conversational columns. 🙂

• Main Street Musings Blog November 23, 2011 at 4:21 pm #

Ah, the Grinch that stole Thanksgiving! If only I could go back and change my title! 🙂

11. DiatribesAndOvations.com November 23, 2011 at 7:28 pm #

Someone lower on my family tree, years ago, decided that it would be a good idea to put crushed walnuts in the green jello salad. They were wrong. At least you know who makes yours …our just “appears” on the table at all major holidays. Nobody hurries to claim it as their own!

12. Main Street Musings Blog November 23, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

At least adding nuts puts the jello into an actual food group!

13. nectarfizz November 26, 2011 at 5:33 pm #

hee hee hee hee. I wanted to try for something literary and intelligent for my comment..but all I can seem to do is giggle.

14. worrywarts-guide-to-weight-sex-and-marriage November 27, 2011 at 1:27 am #

I’m looking forward to reading your blog mostly because I have never met anyone else who was raised with green jello (ours included green olives in it and it was topped with Miracle Whip). Thankfully, it was phased out a few years back. It will be interesting to see how the family Thanksgiving meal evolves over the next couple of decades; my oldest son is a vegan so the green jello may be coming back.

• Main Street Musings Blog November 27, 2011 at 12:15 pm #

I must admit that green olives in green jello is a new one on me. I’d be curious to know if that one makes a comeback! Keep me posted . . .

15. Christina November 27, 2011 at 9:32 pm #

So, I’m guessing you made green jello…I actually love jello! Happy belated Turkey Day!

16. Sherry Stanfa-Stanley November 28, 2011 at 2:56 am #

I do not like green eggs and Jello. I do not like them, Sam, hell no.

Really? I’ve never seen green Jello at a single holiday dinner. Am I seriously missing out or am I just damn lucky?

17. Main Street Musings Blog November 28, 2011 at 10:50 am #

That is a profound question requiring some deep soul searching . . .

18. thelaughingmom December 4, 2011 at 3:49 pm #

Our green jello salad was had vegetables inside and a mayonnaise based dressing on top. We conveniently let that Thanksgiving staple “pass on” with the relatives who served it.