Somewhere Over the Rainbow-Stuffed Oreo

27 Jun

What’s rainbow stuffed and takes a licking? Oreo’s rainbow-stuffed cookie.

Kraft posted a gay pride rainbow-colored Oreo on the cookie’s Facebook page with the caption “Proudly support love!” which sparked a frenzy of “likes”—hundreds of thousands worth. It also elicited tens of thousands of comments.

Many comments were positive, the likes of, “Go Oreo! Don’t listen to the haters!” Others prompted boycotts—“I’ll never buy Oreo again.”

As controversial as the campaign is, the rainbow cookie can’t actually take a licking because it’s not real. The image is part of a marketing campaign reflecting current events, in honor of LGBT Pride month, celebrated in June.

But behold, Oreo lovers, there’s still hope if you’re in the market for something new and tantalizing. If, that is, you can answer this question . . .

What’s black and white and takes a licking? Hint: It’s not the New York Times’ print circulation.

Give up? It’s the newest version of the Oreo that came out last August: three layers of cookie, with one layer of the Oreo’s classic white cream filling and another made of chocolate cream, making it a Triple Double Oreo (“TDO”), or as known by its street name, the Triple Double Oreogasm.

Nabisco has experimented in the past with lots of other Oreo variations and has reinvented itself more times than Lady Gaga. There’s Mini, Double Stuf, and Cool Mint to name a few. But never before has the Oreo seen the likes of the multi-decker. The idea was probably inspired by the recent trend in multiples, as in Taco Bell’s Triple Steak Burrito or Burger King’s BK Triple Stacker.

The fact that the TDO is made with hydrogenated oil instead of pork fat means it’s equally kosher for Jews and vegetarians. But the absence of lard per se doesn’t make it healthy. With the amount of trans fat and sugar it contains (and don’t be fooled like I was into thinking the cookie is healthy just because it’s made with “enriched” flour) it will either give you a triple double orgasm or a triple double bypass.

I haven’t yet tried the TDO. I fear that if it’s anything like its Oreo forerunner, it will be more addictive than Methamphetamine or as it’s known on the street, Mallomars. Hence the warning label on the package: “Do not inject directly into the bloodstream.”

Besides fighting addiction, the other challenge to consumers will be deciding how to eat the TDO. For many, eating Oreos is an art. Some of us twist apart the cookies, scrape the cream with our front teeth, and dunk the cookie halves in milk. Others prefer to devour them whole, in the corner of a dark closet.

But one thing is certain. No matter how you experience your Oreogasm, you’ll likely pack some “Double Stuf” around your middle.  And while you consume the cookies your teeth will become so black you’ll look like you took a face plant in a gravel parking lot.  Sometimes we have to sacrifice vanity for ecstasy. It’s the price you pay for a good licking.

Have you had a Triple Double Oreogasm?

What are your thoughts on the Rainbow Oreo campaign?

43 Responses to “Somewhere Over the Rainbow-Stuffed Oreo”

1. rainey June 27, 2012 at 11:17 am #

Oh, the Oreo! I like the vanilla ones, with a cup of black coffee….Nice post! 🙂

2. katemahar June 27, 2012 at 11:22 am #

Hurray for Oreos! My vote goes for Oreos with the peanut butter cream filling. But here’s a decadent tip: try dipping strawberries in chocolate, then roll them around in crushed Oreos. Let chocolate set (if you can wait that long). Eat. Writhe on the floor in ecstasy.

3. crubin June 27, 2012 at 11:47 am #

Wow. Now we can even supersize our Oreos. Gotta love American food manufacturing. 🙂

4. nursemommylaughs June 27, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

“Either give you a triple double orgasm or a triple double bypass,” line is brilliant. Of course I do love me some sex and medical humor! Very funny, friend!

5. Sylver Blaque June 27, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

Sweet post – literally! I love the new Oreogasms. My injection method is to crumble them up into Vanilla Bean ice cream. Yummmm – you can get a really good high on this fix!

6. Paprika Furstenburg June 27, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

I love Oreos, but I almost never bring them into my house because I can’t control myself around them. I love the whole Oreo aura, the unscrewing of the two halves, trying to get one side completely clean while the other has all the cream filling and scraping the filling off with my teeth.

Good for Oreo for creating their Gay Pride Oreo and good for you for writing such a fun post. Talk about Double Stuf, two posts in one week; double the humor with no extra calories.

• Main Street Musings Blog June 27, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

Like you, I love oreos and can’t keep them in the house, And I eat them the same way you do! We are cut from the same cloth, I tell you! Thanks for the great comment.

7. cindyricksgers June 27, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

I think the company is braver than most politicians, by putting the rainbow oreo out there. I think you are hilarious, with your talk of oreogasms. Thanks!

• Main Street Musings Blog June 27, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

Thanks, Cindy. Yes, they were brave and bold. And what a creative way to make a statement.

8. earthriderjudyberman June 27, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

If Nabisco actually did make a rainbow oreo – 7 wonderful layers of cream …
    W-A-I-T a minute. There’s only 6 of the 7 colors on display. The colors are: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. Indigo is missing.

Some folks applaud the campaign. Others will be turned off. It’s best if we all remember that everyone brings something to the table.

And, in this case, what I hope they’re bringing is a 7-layer Oreo cookie I can sink my teeth. into.

9. morristownmemos by Ronnie Hammer June 27, 2012 at 5:47 pm #

This new Oreo was worth the extra post this week. Just in case anyone was bored with the way things were and always were, there’s now a new sin to rush to. Can’t wait.

10. Carol R Craley June 27, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

You have a delicious sense of humor… Great post!! I have tried the TDO ~ awesome taste, but so sweet one was enough for me. I agree, the rainbow oreo was a wonderful idea… bravo Nabisco. I do have to admit, when I first saw the picture, before reading, I though there had been a family reunion of all of the “Spring & Holiday Oreos” from the last few years. I am now anxiously awaiting the release of your next book, Fifty Shades of Oreos!!

11. Huffygirl June 27, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

I try to keep the addictive suckers out of my house to avoid tempation. But if I do indulge, I buy the orange Halloween ones, because I contend that the orange-colored filling tastes the best.

12. ComplexSymmetry June 28, 2012 at 4:01 am #

Should make a massive wedding cake sized oreo.
    Sounds like a job for the guys at Epic Meal Time 😀
    Great post 😀

13. sportsattitudes June 29, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

With the Olympics coming I think Oreo should enlist one of the more popular current or former USA athletes to advertise they eat these monsters every day as part of their training routine. Mary Lou Retton was pushing the Dairy Queen Triple Chocoholic Blizzards a year ago. A large one is 1,390 calories, roughly equivalent to all the calories Mary Lou was allowed over a two month span back in her day.

14. Perfecting Motherhood June 30, 2012 at 1:22 am #

I can’t stand Oreo cookies, they taste like charcoal! I think to enjoy them, you need to have been raised on them, just like peanut butter. They are an acquired taste and don’t agree with my French born palate. I’d rather go for a chocolate chip cookie, with real chocolate in there, not something pretending to have it inside…

But I love the idea of the Oreo gay pride cookie. It even looks more appetizing than a regular Orea cookie.

• Main Street Musings Blog June 30, 2012 at 8:15 am #

Come to think of it, I never have seen them on the dessert menu at a French restaurant! I love the gay pride cookie idea too — the rainbow rules.

15. funnyortragic June 30, 2012 at 2:32 am #

I actually love the original oreos, but I brought home Paul Newman’s mint oreo cookies, and they are marginally healthier and just as yummy. Oh, I feel a craving coming on…

16. WordsFallFromMyEyes June 30, 2012 at 4:19 am #

Such an iconic biscuit! I think they’re rave & great. I would ever have known if not for this post – thanks for the latest news!!

17. unfetteredbs July 1, 2012 at 8:22 am #

I can only handle double stuffed oreo “O” ‘s.. I guess I am a lightweight and need to build my oreo indurance for the big boys…

• Main Street Musings Blog July 1, 2012 at 9:22 pm #

It may be safer to be a lightweight!

• unfetteredbs July 1, 2012 at 10:27 pm #

there is nothing safe about Oreos…

18. Katherine Checkley July 1, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

Hi Lisa, this is Katie from the WWW group. Sylver told me about your blog, and I am now a follower. I think it’s great! I love the line about Oreo changing itself as much as Lady Gaga. My blog is: http://theintrinsicwriter.wordpress.com/

See you on July 19th!

19. August McLaughlin July 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

Rainbow oreogasm—HA! One of the most entertaining posts I’ve read in a while. 🙂

20. Amritorupa Kanjilal July 3, 2012 at 8:56 am #

The Rainbow Oreo isn’t real!!!??? Lady you just broke my heart 😦 A cookie like that could turn a rabid homophobe to a gay rights activist

Loved your blog 🙂 Do visit mine, and if you like, please follow!

21. The Laughing Mom July 7, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

The vanilla and double-stuffed generate the best Oreogasm. May they never be banned. With the bad rap on sugar and fat these days, I’m much more interested in a cookie pride month.