Gone Fishin’ at the U.S. Open

3 Sep

Gone Fishin’—at the U.S. Open!

Federer vs. Fish

In honor of Labor Day, I’m taking a “Musings” recess today.  I’ll be busy watching tennis greats smacking balls on the courts, and maybe even some famous celebs like Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban smacking lips on the sidelines.

Whether you plan to host a barbecue, attend a parade or buy a mattress on sale . . . have a happy and restful Labor Day!

How do you plan to celebrate Labor Day?

18 Responses to “Gone Fishin’ at the U.S. Open”

1. Paprika Furstenburg September 3, 2012 at 8:57 am #

Enjoy the Open!

One of my first dates with Oregano was to the U.S. Open. He bought himself a t-shirt at a concession stand and then we found our nosebleed seats. After sitting down for a few minutes he leaned over and started sniffing me without any explanation. In as charming a manner as he could muster, told me that he thought I smelled weird. In a stadium of thousands of people, he thought I was the one who smelled funny.Turns out it was the printing on his brand new t-shirt that smelled funny. Not me. I married him anyway and he’s smelled funny ever since.

• Main Street Musings Blog September 3, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

Ha! So glad I mentioned I was going to the Open just so I could hear that story! Funny coincidence, too, because I kept smelling something awful and kept sniffing around me (and sniffing myself). In our case, it turns out it was the programs that smelled horribly. Good thing I didn’t buy a t-shirt.

2. Grown and Flown September 3, 2012 at 9:04 am #

good old fashioned bar-b-que with friends as we try to savor the last hours of summer!

3. Carrie Rubin September 3, 2012 at 9:18 am #

Have a great day watching tennis. Just don’t get hit in the head by any flying balls.

• Main Street Musings Blog September 3, 2012 at 5:07 pm #

Luckily I didn’t get struck by any stray tennis balls, though I heard in one of the mixed doubles matches someone accidentally slammed their partner with the ball. Ouch.

4. Sid Dunnebacke September 3, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

I’ll look for you in the seats as I watch online! My sister-in-law and I are cooking up long-term plans to get there one day. Enjoy.

• Main Street Musings Blog September 3, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

I don’t know if we appeared on camera but my kids were thrilled to get autographs of some of their favorite players and we were lucky enough to chat it up for a few minutes with Justin Gimelstob who grew up nearby. I hope you make it to the Open some day. The athleticism on the courts is awe- inspiring.

5. Perfecting Motherhood September 3, 2012 at 8:48 pm #

Sounds like a fun place to spend Labor Day. My kids were with their dad and I had a bunch of girlfriends at my house. We had a blast, enjoying good food, playing games, chatting and laughing. After the stuff I’ve been through these past few months, I couldn’t have asked for a better day!

• Main Street Musings Blog September 4, 2012 at 8:20 am #

Sounds like some good old-fashioned fun. Glad to hear you got some well-deserved R & R on Labor Day.

6. earthriderjudyberman September 4, 2012 at 10:10 pm #

We spent part of our Labor Day weekend with our oldest daughter and her family in Orlando. The other part – ugh! I was grading essays. That always takes a l-o-n-g time.

Glad you had a smashing, good time at the Open.

7. Julie Glover September 5, 2012 at 11:07 am #

How fabulous! It’s on my “bucket list” (which I call my 40 After 40 list) to attend U.S. Open Tennis someday. I saw Federer play in Houston a few years back and he was amazing, but the doubles match we saw was the best.

• Main Street Musings Blog September 6, 2012 at 9:17 am #

I think it’s great to have a bucket list. It’s nice to have hopes and dreams. 🙂

8. Shakti Ghosal September 7, 2012 at 4:42 am #

Indeed it is all about our hopes and dreams. That is what makes us jump out of our beds every morning, full of intentions.

Shakti

9. The Laughing Mom September 7, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

Sounds like fun. My favorite US Open memory was when a guy I went to high school with beat Jimmy Connors in 1986. I was actually living in NYC at the time but was watching it on TV – should have been in Queens!